Friday, November 30, 2007

Leaders are Readers

I've always had to push myself to read. I really hate to admit that. Watching television is just so much easier. When faced with decision to either read a book or see if Andy and Barney get things squared away with Helen and Thelma Lou (even though I know that they did the last 132 times that I watched the same episode) I'm hard pressed to choose the book.

Well, all of that being said you will be happy to know that once I pick up a book and start reading it, not only am I glad that I did but I actually enjoy it.

I've read more in the last 3 years than I have in the rest of my life combined. My hunger for knowledge has just exponentially increased. What made the difference--being stretched out of my comfort zone and feeling the need to grow.

It's not that previous ministries were not challenging, because they absolutely were and are, but keeping up with a church of a couple of thousand people is ever changing and if you don't keep learning you get mangled beneath those wheels that just keep rollin' down the tracks.

I'm starting a Master's program in Organizational Leadership in January. I'm going to be reading no less than one book a week (or more) for the next couple of years...and probably for the rest of my life.

While Barney and Andy still beckon, the trade off is worth it. Here's a few things I've learned about reading and learning.

  1. Leaders really are learners and if you stop learning you will eventually stop leading.
  2. The more you read the more you can read. The ability to process and synthesize information keeps increasing with practice.
  3. It is important to read from multiple disciplines. I am a pastor and I love spiritually focused books but is is important for me to be exposed to other ideas and ways of thinking. It actually causes me to grow stronger in my own discipline.
  4. You can read dozens of books a year if you consistently read in two 15 minute time slots every day. You don't have to do marathon reading...short bursts can accomplish a great deal.
  5. Chart out a reading track. Decide what you need to learn and the things you need to pump into your mind for personal development and chart out a reading track that will take you there.
  6. If you start reading a book and it stinks, put it down and forget about it. Maybe you will connect with it a few years from now. (Unless, of course, it is assigned reading >:(
  7. If you are reading a book and you come to a segment of the book that feels like a waste of time start skimming until the book gets back on track for you.
  8. Don't neglect the classics. When people are still reading a book 500 years after it was written there is usually a reason for it.
Leaders are often overwhelmed with their responsibilities and sometimes they just don't think they have time to read. Big mistake. Books are the stepping stones that will bridge where you are and where you need to go.

Okay, here it is... I'm committed to reading at least 4 books a month (unless, of course, I have to read more on this Masters Degree journey).

Sorry Ange, I'll see you in a couple of years.

No comments: