Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Time Keeps on Slippin' Into the Future

Time...just 24 hours in one day and only 7 days in a week. No matter how you chart it, graph it, or dissect it that is an unchangeable truth.

I don't think much about retirement. Yes, I am trying to financially prepare for its eventuality but other than that I don't think much about it. No strategies (yet!) for a motor home or a golf community or a fishing boat.

What I do think about, probably more than I should, is how much TIME I have to complete my life's mission before my body and mind will force me to back off. There's only so much time and our callings are so deep.

I was sweeping the snow off of everyone's cars this morning (If I lived in Florida this would not be a problem) and I broke the antennae off of Kelly's car (now I know she will find out about it on Facebook before I have a chance to tell her...sorry Kel, I will fix it). It was below freezing and the metal in the base just snapped.

When it broke off it was one of those oh c#@p moments. Not because of what it would cost to replace it, that's pretty much a non-issue, but because of the time it will take. That's the only thing that started rushing through my mind was how much time it was going to take to order one and then the time it would take to figure out how to replace it. That's how insane I am and how precious time has become.

Our days are like a vapor. They come and go pretty fast. The thing I keep trying to remind myself of is that life is made up of antennaes (or is it antenni) and hubcaps (did I mention that Joyce lost a hubcap off of the van?). Could it be that these things are not distractions that keep us from all the important things that we do? Could it be that these things are just the fabric of life and they provide a very needed distraction from the press and grind and intensity.

I've never watched LOST (the television series) before a few weeks ago when some friends brought season one to our house...three weeks later and we're in the middle of season 3...how's that for wasting TIME. Here's the thing, the episodes are so intense I find myself wishing there were commercials at the segues to give my mind time to wrap itself around the intensity.

So, as it relates to life, I'm going to try to learn to enjoy the breaks from the intensity, even if it is looking for a hubcap or replacing an antennae. Somehow I think those things will help me fulfill the MISSION rather than wreck my time management plan.

1 comment:

David S. said...

That's an interesting perspective. I find myself trying to cram too much into too little time, all the time. I think it's good to sit on the sidelines and recoup for a while, now and then. Rest is good. Now if only I could find the time...