Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Two of me

I resign myself to the fact that there are two of me. I've often wished there were two of me so I could get more done, but that isn't what I'm talking about... only one set of hands, one brain, etc. ... but there are two parts of me that are often in conflict.

It is amazing how much of the New Testament is devoted to the struggle between our natural self and our spiritual person, yet we count it as common knowledge and don't spend a lot of time thinking or talking or teaching about it. Our sinful nature cannot be made good, it must be crucified with Christ (Romans 6:6, Galations 2:20, Galations 5:24). Our sinful nature has to be overcome through the power of the Spirit and the grace of God (Romans 8:13).

How can I overcome this part of me that is inclined to selfishness, slander, and evil? Here are three things that, through the grace of Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit I commit to in order to live an overcoming life:

1) I will deny myself daily (Matthew 16:24, Romans 8:12-13). We sometimes want things we shouldn't have, want to do things we shouldn't do, and not care about things we should care about because we are selfish. I deny selfish desires.

2) I will remove every hinderance (Hebrews 12:1). A lot of thing hold us back from who we want to be... I want those things out of the way.

3) I will resist temptation (Romans 13:14). We cannot stop temptations but we can resist them with the strength of God.

It is through the power of the Holy Spirit working in my spirit that I can overcome. We cannot just allow ourselves to be selfish and live double lives. To experience the overcoming victory God has for us we have to deny self, remove hinderances and sin, and resist temptation.

No comments: