Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Re-railers

I've always loved trains. I think there is something in the heart of every little boy that draws them to the massive size, power, and machinery of trains. When I was a kid I had several different train sets.

I love the sound of the whisper of the little metal wheels sliding along the metal track. Sometimes the wheels of one of the cars would get off track and start grinding and bouncing against the little plastic railroad ties holding the miniature rails together. It was a disruption to the smooth whir and operation of the train. If the derailment was serious enough the entire train would come off the track.

Model train aficionados know that there exists a rerailer, or a section of track with an insert tapered in such a way that it guides the wheels back onto the track if the derailment is minor.

When my train's little wheels got off track and I saw the bouncing and heard the grinding I would slow the train down and hope it made it to the rerailer track. It was a satisfying feeling when the train would jerk back on track and the whir of metal rolling on metal was restored. Sometimes the derailment was too serious and the rerailer was ineffective. The train would then have to be manually taken off the track and carefully replaced.

I need sections of rerailer track regularly placed on the track my life runs on. When the wheels get off the track it is a matter of time until the grinding and instability throws the entire thing off track. What are the rerailers that get me back on track?

These are the rerailers in my life:
1. Sabbath rest regularly spaced once every seven days
2. Vacations spaced about once a quarter
3. A weekly "think" time to strategize and plan
4. A daily visit to the secret place (my quiet and intimate time with God)
5. Occasional fun stuff -- the things that refill my tank

Sometimes we just need to reconfigure our track layout and make sure we have rerailers in place at acceptable intervals to make sure we stay on track.

David Delp
http://aGoodDeposit.com

No comments: