Thursday, January 27, 2011

What's the plan for my life

I read this statement penned by a man named Jim Rohn, "If you don't have a plan for your life you will fall into someone else's plan for your life, and guess what they have planned for you -- not much." It sounds cynical, but it is true. I have it on a card under the glass of my desk and I've given it to my daughters to remind them that what they do with their lives is their responsibility, not someone else's responsibility.

Fact is, there are a lot of good people who have helped me and spoken into my life throughout the years. I am very appreciative. Reality is that everyone of those people, while many would do anything they could to help me if I asked, have their own lives, their own families, their own ministries, their own relationships, their own budgets, their own challenges, their own callings, their own values, their own mission, their own vision, and their own set of priorities. They are just as challenged and tired as I am.

It is up to us to have a plan for our own lives. A plan that comes from time spent in the Presence of God. I can call mentors and coaches and spill my guts in the hopes they will tell me what to do, but ultimately, with the help of the Holy Spirit I have to decide. Holy Spirit and I are responsible for my success, no one else.

Sometimes we are frustrated, hurt, and disappointed that someone did not help us sufficiently to achieve our goals. There's the church planter who is skinned up because neighboring churches didn't send them people, struggling pastors hurt because no one sent them money when times were tough, and others who are disappointed that no one saw their hurt and pain and rallied around them (even though Wal-mart was out of crystal balls, figuratively speaking of course).

Here's the point of this post. I have to take responsibility for the plan of my life. I have to hear from God. I have to pray through. I have to understand my gifts and calling and operate within their parameters. If I don't have a plan for my life it is for sure ... no one else is going to come up with one for me -- they cannot. I have to cast the vision and believe God to raise up the resources. I have to inspire others to see what I see in the Spirit and trust God to bear witness and prompt them to join me on the journey.

I can't just sit around hoping that one day a ship will cruise by and throw off a manual of what I'm supposed to do with my life with a check attached to pay for it.

I am so thankful for my mentors, coaches, partners, and supporters. They have blessed me greatly, but they've never been able to tell me what I'm supposed to do with my life. They've never been able to give me the vision for my life. That is something God and I have to work out in the secret place.

No comments: