Tuesday, January 25, 2011

When we fail (not if)

It is odd how when we sin our overwhelming human response is to become defensive. You would think our response would be one of brokenness and humility. After failure, brokenness sometimes comes first and our embarrassed nature leads us to defensiveness. Sometimes the defensiveness comes first and finally submits itself to brokenness and reconciliation.

I've observed a number of good men and women who have seriously failed. Every once in a while one is broken enough to seek restoration and reconciliation with humility. Sadly, too often after the initial shock wears off waves of self-justification, denial, and defensiveness lurch forward dashing the hopes of growth, redemption, and moving to the next level of understanding both the human condition and the grace of God.

There are consequences attached to our failures. Sometimes they are heavy consequences, sometimes light. It is the desire to avoid the consequences that elicits defensiveness. Accepting and even embracing the consequences of our failures is prerequisite to gaining the treasure that brokenness brings.

Apostle Paul stated, "But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ" (Phil. 3:7, NASB). Why do we think we have to protect our reputation or turf when Christ laid his reputation aside to demonstrate the nature of humility?

Problem is, we just have too much we are trying to protect. We are like junk yard dogs growling to protect the little scraps we cherish rather than being willing to release ownership, be crucified with Christ, and walk in humility. It would be better to submit all things to Christ and let him be Lord over all of them.

May God give me the grace, should I fail (and I have many times) that I will acknowledge who I really am so Christ may be perfected in me. May the arrogance and defensiveness of my nature yield to the humility and brokenness of the Christ life.

The truth really does set us free.
It's my blog and that's the way I see it.
(http://aGoodDeposit.com)

No comments: